How Much of What You Know Did You Actually Choose?
Try this without overthinking it.
Write down five things you know are true.
Not facts like the sky is blue or water is wet. Write the beliefs that quietly organize your life.
Success requires sacrifice.
Family should always come first.
Rest must be earned.
People cannot be trusted.
A secure life is better than an uncertain one.
Now take each belief and ask: Where did this come from?
Was it something your parents repeated? Something school rewarded? A lesson formed during one painful experience? A rule absorbed from religion, work, advertising, or the culture around you?
Then ask the harder question:
Did I choose this—or did I inherit it?
When I tried this, I realized that some of my strongest convictions had never been consciously examined. I had repeated them so often that they felt like observations about reality instead of instructions handed to me by someone else.
That does not automatically make them wrong.
Some inherited beliefs protect us. Some carry hard-earned wisdom. Others may have helped us survive a particular period of life.
But a belief can be useful once and restrictive later.
It can belong to someone we love and still not belong to us.
The purpose of this exercise is not to erase everything you were taught. It is to notice the difference between a truth you have tested and a rule you have obeyed.
Look at your five beliefs again.
Which ones still feel alive when you examine them?
Which ones make you smaller?
Which ones have you been defending simply because they have been with you for a long time?
You do not have to replace every answer today.
Just recognize that inherited certainty is not the same as chosen truth.
#QuestionYourBeliefs #PersonalExperiment #SelfAwareness #InheritedBeliefs #IntentionalLiving

Comments
Post a Comment